Hmmmm, can u believe this is already the seventh 10 with TEN?! Since seven is such a mysterious number it seemed fitting to reserve it for the exotic and enigmatic mariqueen maandig. Seven is also Mariqueens favorite number so it’s even more appropriate. We did it at a coffee shop in downtown LA. – she had a triple venti white chocolate mocha and I had an espresso with a biscotti. Needless to say, this 10 with TEN was by far the most stimulating.
1. Describe your role in the band? I harmonize with Rob, shake both my ass and the tambourine, play the harmonica and smile a lot… BEST. JOB. EVER.
2. What special qualities do you bring to the band? god… I don’t know., you tell me… since you’re pouting at me and pressuring me for an answer I suppose I’ll say an easy going sensuality that was missing from the whole ensemble… that and I have a powerful set of pipes. Oh yeah… and I have a vagina. Awesome.
3. You’ve had to learn how to play harmonica for the song “trip” and you play it so well – so what is your secret, suck or blow?Sucking and blowing. It’s a talent I’ve carried ever since high school… recognize. I mean, hi mom, I love you.
4. I understand you used to sing in some cover bands – what was your best cover band moment and what is your favorite cover to sing??I didn’t sing in cover bands, actually… I sang in a band when I was fifteen filled with at least twenty other old men. It was crazy. We sang at banquets and what not… good times. I think my best moment was singing in Arizona for a doctor’s party and realizing that no one was eating their dinner because they were all watching me. Pretty nifty. My most favoritest cover song would have to be “Last Dance” by Donna Summer cause I get to belt out like a maniac and I love the reaction I get from the audience. Mmm… I’m in the mood to karaoke now.
5. You seem to have a lot of male fans – why do you think (besides the huge breasts and plump lips) that is? You know what? You can just suck my ass with a boba straw, Fran… you’re a douche bag and a half… next question please. (um, that’s not very lady like)
6. Speaking of lips…how do you define the perfect kiss….what makes a good kisser? Hmmm… I define the perfect kiss by just doing it. A good kisser needs the following… great lips, good breath, the right amount of tongue, good timing, great variety and please, for the love of god, hold back on the saliva.
7.What are you listening to lately – who are your favorite bands out right now?I don’t keep up with current music… but I’m into Bill Withers, Spoon, Lamb, Massive Attack, Alpha, Queens Of The Stone Age, Miho, Astrud Gilberto, Beck, Bloc Party, She Wants Revenge, Poe, The Beatles, The Cinematic Orchestra, Van Morrison, Doves, Air and really early Rolling Stones oh and DJ Shadow… you know… good stuff.
Down tempo puts me in a sexy mood… jazz makes me happy… rock and roll completes me… dirty dirty dirty beats (a la Detroit Ghetto Tech) makes me tickle in my you know where… and the Miss Saigon soundtrack puts me in a blissful childlike state which I love. I could go on and on about what else I listen to but I’m over it.
8. Describe the last show you went to – did it suck? The last show I went to was the Phoenix show that we had to go to at the troub… it didn’t suck at all. As far as I can remember, I had the time of my life… just don’t refer to any of the pictures that were taken that night cause I’d like to keep a nice reputation. Hey, can I have a bite of your biscotti?
9. You’re the only girl in the band, is that a difficult thing to deal with? Do you wish we had another girl (besides carter) in the band to keep you company? this probably sounds super cliché but I feel like a man in a woman’s body so being around all of you guys isn’t difficult at all… plus, I like the fact that I am the only girl… it means never having to move equipment. Rrrad.
10. How have you liked being my DBD (date-by –default) for all the little band events we have had to go to? how were you able to control yourself? Well… being your DBD is pretty chill… I get to listen to you jibber jabber at everyone and in turn get a good laugh. It’s highly amusing. YOU are highly amusing. I’ve been able to control myself by just listening to you go off on random tangents. That is enough to send me on four or eighteen smoke breaks on our “dates”. I mean, just kidding, Fran… you’re not THAT annoying.
Bonus Question You’re the only other band member that religiously takes a bunch of pics like me. I noticed that not only is your digi camera cooler, more expensive, and takes better pictures than mine but it always seems to capture the two of us in some questionable pose. Do you think that the pictures you’ve taken of us raise too many eyebrows? Well… to be honest, I think they’ve raised too many eyebrows to count. it’s annoying and funny and it makes me want to take more right this second. Here… put that biscotti somewhere obscene while i dig in my purse for that camera.
hahahah um, ok, well, mariqueen you are the best. you bring alot of fire to this band. hey uh, what sign are you? what are you doing later tonight? wanna go grab a drink?— F. Ten 3:03AM
photo credit for shot 3 – the one and only marc goldstein(again!)