Yup, I’m back! The 3rd installment of 10 with Ten with the coolest men’s clothing designer around. Jade is one bad ass mother fucker. This interview took place at Howe Homme – his new retail store and lifestyle space in Santa Ana, Ca. Check it out and learn how style is born.
First off let me say we all totally love your stuff – on any given day one of us, if not a few of us, are always rockin a piece of Howe clothing. Rob is always wearing one of your dress shirts, Carter is always wearing your jeans and t’s and I love playing shows in those black low rise pins. It’s all sick stuff. Jade, your line is effortless, cool and distinctive. Ok on to the questions.
1. I know people can read your bio on the site (howedenim.com) but in your own words tell me a little bit about your vision or what you are trying to do with your clothing line? I want to level the playing field for guys. Fashion isn’t just for women. In fact not only are we creating fitted tailored clothing for men, were doing it in a way that appeals to women. That’s the goal, to get the compliment, that nod of approval, the hand on your shoulder for an extra second adoring the soft tactile feel of Italian yarn. That’s my job. To bring them in close. It’s up to you to close the deal.
2. What are some of the craziest techniques you have used to distress denim ? Taking my 66 dodge charger with a 427 hemi to Erwindale speedway and dragging the jeans around the track at a hundred a twenty mph, then finishing them off in the winners circle with a burnout!!! see below.
3. In your opinion what is the current state of affairs in music today – What are you listening to lately – and who do you hate listening to? Not to sound like my father, but turn that shit down! There’s a lot of non inspired filler out there right now. To much me too. Record companies have lost it. They only pursue profit. Talent is secondary to the made for TV pop star! Of course that just makes finding the good stuff more rewarding. My life revolves around music, it’s a huge part of my inspiration. What am I listening to? Beside West Indian Girl, I’m in a retro faze right now. Nina Hagen, Bauhaus, Murder City Devils, Circle Jerks, and Adolescents, Balanced with some Johnny Cash, Mars Volta, Interpol, Peaches, and Kinky. I don’t listen to anything I hate. I’m not a big fan of Hip Hop
4. How do you manage to have so many hot chicks working for you? Talent isn’t just limited to designing my friend. I love my job……..
5. Howe many times a day do people try to make dumb jokes out of your last name? what’s the best one you have heard? You have know idea Howe many times a day people get clever with my name. It’s an endless flow of, Howe would I say, randomness. I mean Howe can I put it into words. The best one I’ve heard lately…… My panties; Howe did they get over there?
6. If you could compare your clothing line to any band past or present who would it be? The Felonious Priests. Better know as a morph of early Stones, Bauhaus (peter Murphy) and Interpol set in a theatrical rock opera!
7. Are there any designers that inspire you? Where do you get your design inspirations from – do they ever come to you in dreams? I admire a lot of designers. Heidi Slimane, John Galliano, Andrew McKenzie to name a few. My inspiration comes mostly from interaction with people and nature. Sometimes just the way a girl or guy is rocking an outfit can spark a creative revolution. Mostly I look to women for inspiration. When I need all the madness to gel, I go for a surf, that’s when the true clarity comes. Some of my biggest sellers have come in a dream. I’ve actually learned to dream with my eyes open! That’s Howe dreams come true…..
8. Are you offended that I take the expensive t shirts u give me and cut them up? Fran you can cut as many of my 40 singles Peruvian cotton, massaged with virgin olive oil imported from Italy and rolled in goose down till there butter soft, hand grinded by spiritually enlightened Buddhist monks, and finally flown first class round the globe for that worn just to perfection fit, as you want.
9. Describe the last show you went to – did it suck? West Indian Girl acoustic set in my living room. Needless to say I new someone who hooked me up with front row tickets. It was fucking smooth!
10. What other bands have you rolled out the red carpet to besides us and can west indian girl pose in your next catalog? Some of the musicians we’ve dressed are Steven Tyler, Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, Flaming Lips, Orgy, Hot Hot Heat, Hooba Stank, Radio Head, 18 visions, Likin Park, Farell Williams, Usher, Queens of Stone age, Cold Play to name a few, but you guys are the only ones I have rolled out the red carpet for. Your special……….. Yes you can!!
Thanks Jade, this was by far the most intelligent 10 with Ten to date.
Maybe i should stop interviewing musicians like chris carter – only kidding fool…F. Ten 11/9 2:30 am